CBD to Keep Your Dogs Happier and HealthierDecember 11, 2018
Recently, the world has seen a lot of medical breakthroughs with the usage of cannabis products. One of these products is CBD oil. It has been categorized as medical marijuana and is showing promising results in treating many serious diseases such as epilepsy, type 1 diabetes, Alzheimer’s and even cancer. It also has a host of health benefits which include treating chronic pain and anxiety disorders.
“In 2016, 68% of the households in the USA owned a pet. People spent around $66.75 billion on their pets in 2016.”
CBD can be given to dogs in order to treat a range of ailments. CBD oil has been amazing in relieving your furry companion from pain.
Here are the most important things you need to know about CBD oil for your dog’s health.
How is CBD oil made?
CBD oil contains the concentration of cannabinoids found in the cannabis plant, which is known for its possible therapeutic uses. As CBD and THC both are present in the marijuana plant, there are certain myths attached to its processing. Both THC and CBD are different compounds having different effects. THC has a mind-altering effect. But unlike THC, CBD is not psychoactive and has significant health benefits. That means it will not make your pet high after consumption. On the contrary, it will help in improving your dog’s health. Keep reading to discover how.
How CBD works for your dog’s health:
People are turning to CBD oil for their pets because of its amazing healing properties. It has been a tremendously satisfying product for individuals who are looking for natural alternatives for health care. CBD oil is immensely helpful in treating curing both acute and chronic diseases in dogs and unlike conventional drugs, it has no side effects.
- Treats seizures and epilepsy – Today many dog parents are grateful for CBD managing their pet’s seizures. High levels of CBD can be effective in controlling your pet’s seizure and over time can help to decrease its frequency. After a period of time, you may see the disease entirely eliminated from their bodies.
- Prevents and cures cancer – If your dog is diagnosed with cancer, then include CBD oil in your canines treatment. Your pet will feel comfortable with the correct dosage of CBD oil. It can build their immune system, helps to kill cancer cells and can block the formation of new cancer cells.
- Fights anxiety – Anxiety is disheartening for dogs too. In many situations, dogs can feel sad, depressed and extremely anxious which may result in destructive behavior. CBD contains natural ingredients and relaxing stimulants which helps pets conquer such situations and feel relaxed.
- Relieves arthritis – CBD is a natural painkiller! It can relieve pain in joints as well as inflammation that arises from arthritis. With regular dosages, it soothes redness and prevents aches and chronic pains.
- Boosts appetite – There are times when dogs loose their appetite and the reason may not known. They do not feel like eating unless they are given medicine that will stimulate their appetite. CBD helps to reduce digestive issues and treat nausea. After these conditions are treated, dogs regain their natural appetite.
A majority of diseases in dogs can be treated with CBD oil. It is very helpful in alleviating pain and living a healthy life. All you have to do is keep track of the given dosage.
What is the proper dosage of CBD oil for dogs?
CBD oil is given orally to pets. It can be administered with other medication and treatments after consulting your vet. To generate expected positive effect, giving the right amount of dosage is imperative. Hence, the dosage depends on factors such as age, weight, size, metabolism, the severity of the illness and the density of receptors in their system.
Even in severe cases of pain, it is suggested that you start with a low dosage and implement it for seven days. No two dogs are alike. Therefore, the dosage will vary. Ideally, the dosage is 0.25 to 0.50mgs per pound based on your dog’s body weight. Similar to other herbal medications, it will take time to show improvements, but your dog may feel pain relief within a few hours from intake.
4 important tips for using CBD for dogs
When you are about to start the usage of CBD for your pet, refer to the following tips to ensure their safety.
- Start low and gradual – Animals require different dosage based on their body constitution and health condition. To start with, one should give their dogs a gentle dosage for a few days or a week. After observing changes, one can always dose up. Remember – Consistency is the key!
- Use CBD oil – CBD oil is a concentration of cannabinoids and consuming oil has direct, least harming and long-lasting effects on the system. Oil concentration can be directly added to their meals, which makes the concentration easily absorbed into the body.
- Keep a canine journal – As you change the dosage week after week, keep a log of the dosage and the results seen against the dosage. Monitor the behavior of your dog, especially after the first consumption.
- Get a consultation – When dealing with canine care, it is wise to treat your dog with cannabis under the guidance of an expert veterinarian.
After learning much about CBD oil, you might be wondering about the safety of the drug. As cannabinoids or CBD oil comes from hemp with little to no THC present, it becomes an absolutely safe and non-toxic supplement for your pet. Its non-toxic nature makes it a natural painkiller.
As a pet parent, there is nothing more exciting than watching your pet live life happily. We, at Regen America, share expert advice from the puppy stage to the senior years of a dog’s life. Contact us today and help your beloved pup live a long and healthy life!