Breaking The 9 Myths That Are Stopping You From Getting A PRP TreatmentMay 03, 2019
Platelet-rich plasma treatment is the new innovative approach in regenerative medicine. This is a non-surgical process which utilizes the patient’s platelets derived from their own blood and use them to treat a variety of problems that involve the joints, tendons, ligaments, muscle, connective tissue, and cartilage.
Surgical methods have for a long time provided a pipe dream for patients who wanted to get rid of their ailments at any cost. In such times, when non-surgical methods like PRP therapy are succeeding and earning a place in the sun, the existence of certain myths around it is also understandable. Join us on this ride where we bust some of the most outrageous myths that surround platelet-rich plasma treatment.
Myth #1: PRP has many risks
- Anything, when carried out after considering all the safety guidelines and under a safe environment, is SAFE! Likewise, PRP is also a safe procedure and has zero adverse effects if performed at a good PRP treatment center by a well-versed doctor.
- All you need to ensure is that the environment is properly sterilized and has disinfected equipment.
- PRP therapy is one of those therapies that are minimally invasive and have the lowest risk of any side effects.
- The blood platelets are your own and so are the blood cells, hence leaving no chance for the body to reject them or react negatively. You won’t find any point where the rubber meets the road!
- The procedure is quick and so is the recovery time following the procedure.
Myth #2: PRP therapy is new
- The concept of PRP was introduced back in the 1970s to describe the plasma with a platelet count more than the peripheral blood, which was initially used as a transfusion product to treat patients with thrombocytopenia.
- The concept was a major discovery in the field of hematology back then and as time passed, numerous researches transferred the baton of treating various ailments to PRP therapy.
- PRP therapy was used for the first time in open heart surgery in 1987.
- In the field of hair regrowth too, PRP was introduced in 2004.
Myth #3: There is a certain age limit to undergo a PRP therapy
- People of all ages qualify for PRP therapy.
- Let’s become more clear by understanding it in the context of PRP hair treatment. There are many people who are misguided by a common opinion that only ‘old people’ go for PRP hair treatments.
- First and foremost, there is no age limit to this treatment.
- The reason why a certain group of people take this treatment and the other doesn’t is that individuals in the age bracket of 24-45 are the most prone to genetic and patterned hair loss.
- Hair loss can easily be reversed and you don’t necessarily have to be in a particular age group to undergo this treatment.
- PRP therapy is common among adults now. Research has made qualifying as candidates for platelet-rich plasma treatment easy for children too.
Myth #4: PRP is only used for the regrowth of cells
- PRP therapy has been used to treat many musculoskeletal injuries and ailments like joint arthritis, chronic tendonitis/tendinosis, hip pain, knee pain, shoulder pain, common sports injuries, acute ligament and muscle injuries in athletes, Sciatica, and even fractures successfully.
- The therapy is very common among athletes as it helps in healing and strengthening the soft tissues that are the main drivers in their athletic career.
- Tissues like tendons, ligaments, and muscles have already been healed by using this treatment.
- Ligaments take a longer healing time which makes PRP the best option for those who have ligament injuries.
- PRP therapy is even used in the cosmetic field. Hair growth and facelifts are the most popular therapies that are being conducted by PRP therapy nowadays.
- Besides this, PRP therapy is also used in reducing inflammation which leads to some serious joint pain.
- This should be enough to break this unsubstantiated myth. If you want to know more about the benefits of PRP therapy, then contact us now.
Myth #5: PRP treatments can still not be proved
- Our customer testimonials might be enough for you to stop believing in this myth.
- However, the roots of PRP therapy can be traced back to the 1970s and since then there have been many pieces of research that have proven the efficiency of PRP therapy.
- PRP therapy is being widely accepted due to the various successful results that it is bestowing upon patients all around the world.
- The treatment has been ignored for many years but with more and more people looking for safer non-surgical methods of treatment, PRP therapy is gaining acceptance at a fast pace.
Myth #6: PRP therapy is very costly
- There are some regenerative therapies that are costly but the case is not the same with PRP therapy.
- PRP therapy is a cost-effective procedure as the therapy is short, doesn’t require surgery, has a low risk and allows natural healing.
- On the other side, surgical methods have long wait times and an even longer recovery period at times.
- Also, physicians may suggest frequent visits after the surgery which may cost you more bucks.
- PRP therapy specialists use your blood and your own plasma to insert it into the injured area with a PRP injection.
- PRP therapy is now even used to repair damaged muscle by people all across the U.S. Ask them why they don’t go with surgical methods and they will explain to you how PRP injections cost less compared to conventional surgical procedures.
Myth #7: Stem Cells are extracted from unborn embryos
- Embryonic stem cells are the stem cells that are gathered from unborn fetuses. The sole aim of these special kinds of stem cells is for research purpose.
- This is not at all the case in PRP therapy. Here the blood is collected from the patient’s body and centrifuged at varying speeds.
- The centrifugal is done to obtain three levels namely: platelet poor plasma (PPP), PRP, and red blood cells.
- The first spin is responsible for separating the platelet poor plasma (PPP) from the red fraction and platelet-rich plasma (PRP).
- The next spin finishes the task and separates the red blood cells from the PRP. The PRP is found at the bottom at the end of this spin.
- The fact that the PRP therapy stem cells are harvested from the patient’s own body is also a big reason why people are choosing PRP therapy on top of other surgical methods.
Myth #8: PRP therapy can restore hair only for men and not women
- This is a myth that owes its existence to all the advertisements that show only the men smiling on the TV after regrowing their precious hair.
- The fact is that men and women both can undergo PRP treatment for hair regrowth efficiently.
- Gender is not a factor that affects any PRP treatment. The only thing to ensure before the treatment is that you approach the right platelet-rich plasma treatment clinic to get the treatment.
Myth #9: PRP therapy for hair restoration is a painful technique
- Anesthesia is always provided to the patients before injecting a PRP injection into them to ensure a painless experience.
- If you are someone who has less tolerance for pain, then inform the doctor beforehand about this. The doctor will take the necessary steps to curb the pain.
- This is just another myth that must not influence you. The small pain you are going to experience before a platelet-rich plasma treatment for your hair loss will be forgotten soon after you see the benefits that the procedure will bring.
If the potential of stem cell research is realized, it would mean an end to the suffering of millions of people. If stem cell research succeeds, there isn’t a person in the country that won’t benefit, or know somebody that will.
-Michael J. Fox
Treatment through PRP therapy is one of the most cutting-edge and beneficial therapies available today.
To fully understand how you can benefit from platelet-rich plasma treatment you can meet with one of our experts to discuss your best options.
Regen America’s platelet-rich plasma therapy will free you from all your pains and ailments.
Having a knee or joint pain? PRP therapy is very effective for a lot of ailments. At Regen America, we use FDA-approved aspiration systems. Get in touch with experts at Regen America NOW!